Monday, March 31, 2014

Reading the Sky

Cold night. First without rain in a while. The stars talk me into stepping outside.

I trip over a bucket of water before stretching out on a bench. It´s almost midnight. Even with my jacket zipped and my arms folded around me I start shivering. But I can´t go back inside…not yet. Star-studded blackness is too eloquent to read over quickly, too rich with un-captured emotion. Perusal is not enough. I need a few more minutes, a couple more moments to even put one complete thought together from the letter written by points of starlight. 
Photo Credits
A starry sky can either make someone feel incredibly small and alone in the universe…or amazingly small and loved. The distance between the stars and my planet can either represent the distance separating us from heavenly realms or the distance Love traveled to prove its earnestness. All the light-years between suns and galaxies quietly show the length to which Divine Love will always go to reach us.

A wave of crashing Love pierces the Earth´s atmosphere and reaches the shores of my heart. I realize I can stop Love in its trajectory. I can refuse this space-defying, space-filling Love…it will not force its way into my soul. “But no,” I think as my vision is blurred by a tear, “I cannot pretend to shiver alone when the same Love that holds the stars in suspension is surrounding me.”   
“When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained; what is man, that thou art mindful of him? And the son of man, that thou visitest him?” Psalm 8:3, 4

No comments:

Post a Comment